Monday, June 1, 2015

Social Employee

It’s my life so it’s either my way or high way.. When I express these thoughts, people around me either end up calling me immature or a fool or selfish.. And I end up asking myself that what gives them this right to call me by all these names. I am also as much a part of this society as they are and I want to lead my life my way in this society.

I get a feel that the mantra to gel well with this society is to just please everyone around us by meeting their expectation or in short, become a “SOCIAL EMPLOYEE”. Even our personal life is lead like a professional one. Every role has a job description attached to it and if you don’t work as per the job description then you are not fit for the role. If one doesn’t behave like an obedient child then he or she is not fit for the role of a son or a daughter. You decide to follow your passion rather than choosing Engg/Medical/CA as the profession and you are not eligible for the role of a competitive individual. Rather, you are somebody who doesn’t know that what he/she wants to do in life. If you don’t behave in a certain way that your beloved expects you to behave then you don’t love him or her enough. So, you are rejected / dumped from that role. ”.

Marriage is the best organization in this society and if you are successful in marriage then you are a super human. This single relationship brings with it such a maze of relationships that if we are able to fulfill our roles in most of these relations then we are the top performers of this society. Somebody please explain me that how is it possible to please so many people. Once you get married, the number of roles increase overnight. You are a spouse, son in law/ daughter in law, uncle, aunt and every single relation that can exist in this society. I feel that the only way to succeed in all these roles is to be a yes boss kind of social employee. Keep your mind and heart at bay and keep on listening to others regarding their expectations from you and just say “YES BOSS, IT WILL BE DONE” and there you go. You are the top performer in the society and you become the role model for many of the individuals who would be told to look upto you. The best task for this social employee comes when he/she becomes the parent and the way your wards behave becomes the new parameter to measure success or failure as the contributor to this society.

It bothers me that if I end up living the roles that have been assigned to me then when am I going to live “MY” life. A life in which I want to define my own goals, fabricate my roles and measure my success or failures on my own benchmarks or not measure them at all. I may not be a good kid because I would always keep my parents on their toes when it came to my choices whether in terms of career choice or life partner but I would love and respect my parents much more because they gave me the right to take my own decision.  I don’t want to be called an engineer or a doctor or CA. I want to pursue my own interest and I don’t want anyone else to tell me that how successful I am in terms of my career or to be precise “bank balance”. I have no aspiration to be called a good wife or to be given the tag of a good daughter in law and end up doing all the external and internal household chores. I am not looking down on these chores. Its just that they don’t interest me and I don’t want to anything just because it is a job description. I just want to be a good life partner to my spouse who can share his happiness, worries, ups and downs with me. I want to share his responsibility in taking care of the house irrespective of the fact whether it makes me a good or bad daughter in law.

My thoughts may sound selfish to many of you simply because it’s full of me but this is how I want to live and this will make me happy. In our endeavor to portray a good image in front of this society we end up living somebody else’s life .Only when I am happy from within then I would be able to spread the happiness to this society and that would be my contribution to this society.



No comments:

Post a Comment